Save Over the Summer With These Hot Ideas
So you have emerged from your little spot of hiding we call home. Summer is in full swing and you're ready to to do all you ever dreamed of doing all winter long. Just one little detail, your wallet and credit cards are still frozen in the "ice age of broke." Not to worry! As you'll see here there is more than one way to break that ice and not break your bank either.
What to avoid:
- Theme Parks -- If you absolutely want to go to one be sure to go to a park close to where you live, they usually offer resident discount rates. Also be sure to pack some food and water for yourself.
- Summer Exclusive Events -- Sometimes there are special parties, gatherings, or centers for the summer. They all have one thing in common, higher prices due to their reliance on the summer crowds.
- Certain Summer Foods -- Pay close attention to the prices of certain foods related to summer consumption. Hot dogs, burgers, and other meats all tend to trend upwards during the summer months.
- Try Not to Travel South -- When summer hits many travel southward to their favorite spots, so if you can avoid travel in that direction you will save a lot in gas, food, and trouble.
What you can do:
- State Parks -- These areas are usually free or cost very little to park. They sport venues such as swimming, fishing, hiking, camping, and much more. Taking in the view is a great idea too!
- Boating -- Often there are public lakes nearby that will support boating in a canoe or rowboat. If your lake has an island in the middle then grab a tent and do a little camping.
- Shopping -- Beat the heat by doing some smart shopping for winter needs. You'll find tons of great stuff for the winter season on sale. Plus you can enjoy being inside for a bit.
- Beaches -- Most beaches are still free to walk-on access, or cost little to drive on. Don't take a clean beach for granted, enjoy and use sunscreen to protect yourself.
These are just some of the great outdoor and indoor activities that you can do during the summer season. Keep in mind though some of the other costs that go unseen by most. A few of these may include A/C costs, bottled water, eating out, and summer vendors all of which can nickle you out of a few hundred if you're not mindful as to how much you're doing. Other than that have fun during summer, and remember to shop smart.